Current:Home > reviewsMaryland board approves $148M in cuts to help support Medicaid, child care -Capitatum
Maryland board approves $148M in cuts to help support Medicaid, child care
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 11:46:24
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — A Maryland board approved $148.3 million in state spending reductions on Wednesday to balance the budget while directing more money to pay for child care and Medicaid — two priorities that Democratic Gov. Wes Moore’s administration hopes will help improve a stagnant state economy.
The Board of Public Works, which Moore chairs, made cuts across a variety of state agencies to address larger-than-expected demand for Medicaid and a state child care program. The board, which also includes Treasurer Dereck Davis and Comptroller Brooke Lierman, can cut up to 25% of the state’s operating budget when the Legislature isn’t in session.
“While it’s never ideal, the reductions that we are advancing today are necessary to ensure that our fiscal stability is going to be sound and to create long-term economic growth for our state,” Moore said.
The governor emphasized that most of the cuts were spread among state agencies. He said that when he took office 18 months ago, his staff realized that the state’s economy had been stagnant for a decade and that “Maryland’s business model was broken.”
“That’s not politics, that’s math,” Moore said. “You cannot have something that continues to watch budgets increase but where you’re continuing to watch an economy stay flat.”
The need for the spending adjustments arose because of larger-than-projected participation in a state program to help pay for child care and higher-than-expected retention of Medicaid participants as Maryland, like other states, has undergone post-pandemic eligibility reviews.
When Moore took office, there were about 24,000 children enrolled in the state’s child care scholarship program. By late 2023, that figure had grown to about 33,000 children. When he prepared the budget for the state’s current fiscal year, it was anticipated that 38,000 to 40,000 children would participate, but as of June, that number already had grown to more than 40,000.
As for Medicaid, Maryland released data last week marking the end of the yearlong redetermination process. Over the 12 months that ended in April, Maryland Medicaid processed 1,540,247 applications to renew coverage, more than 70% of which were approved, the state health department said.
Medicaid enrollment stood at 1,684,462 as of May 31. That’s compared to 1,415,631 prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, an increase of 262,303.
Helene Grady, the governor’s budget chief, told the board that ensuring that eligible Marylanders can access health care and child care affordably are priorities of the governor and the General Assembly to support economic growth by keeping people healthy and enabling more parents to enter the workforce.
She said the reductions focused on redeploying underutilized funds, as well as delaying areas of new or increasing funding.
Maryland Republicans criticized the the board’s decision, describing it as a fund transfer rather than a true budget cut, as the state faces long-term future budget deficits.
“What you will find is a fund transfer and budgeting tricks akin to looking for coins in the couch cushions to make up a significant underfunding of Medicaid created by flawed projections,” Steve Hershey, the Senate minority leader from the Eastern Shore, said in a statement.
Natasha Dartigue, Maryland’s chief public defender, said the cuts would hurt her agency, which she said has been underfunded for decades and is already “in crisis.”
“Every dollar matters,” Dartigue told the board.
Charlotte Davis, executive director of Rural Maryland Council, also spoke out against cuts.
“We feel that our mission fits what you’re trying to do to support the future growth of rural Maryland and Maryland in general,” she said.
veryGood! (164)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- The ‘Aladdin’ stage musical turns 10 this month. Here are the magical stories of three Genies
- After beating cancer, Myles Rice hopes to lead Washington State on an NCAA Tournament run
- Kentucky governor appoints new commissioner to run the state’s troubled juvenile justice department
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Vasectomies and March Madness: How marketing led the 'vas madness' myth to become reality
- Virginia wildfire map: See where fires are blazing as some areas deal with road closures
- 70 million Americans drink water from systems reporting PFAS to EPA | The Excerpt
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- What Each Zodiac Sign Needs for Aries Season, According to Your Horoscope
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Beyoncé will receive the Innovator Award at the 2024 iHeartRadio Music Awards
- Pro-Trump attorney returns to Michigan to turn herself in on outstanding warrant
- The US may catch a spring break on weather. Forecasters see minimal flooding and drought for spring
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Michael Lorenzen to join Rangers on one-year deal, per reports
- You Only Have One Day To Shop These Insane Walmart Deals Before They're Gone
- Attorneys try to stop DeSantis appointees from giving depositions in Disney lawsuit
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
See the first photos of 'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice' cast, including Michael Keaton
Florida online sports betting challenge is denied by state’s highest court
Texas immigration ruling puts spotlight on nation’s most conservative federal appeals court
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
How Europe’s regulatory with battle with Apple could signal what’s to come for American consumers
U.S. hits Apple with landmark antitrust suit, accusing tech giant of stifling competition
U.S. hits Apple with landmark antitrust suit, accusing tech giant of stifling competition